Tuesday 3 January 2012

Travel

"Good afternoon and welcome to flight 858 with service to London England. This is a pre-boarding call for all those who need assistance or have small children. Please make your way to Gate 50. Thank you!"

Airports are one of my favorite places to visit. I'm not a big lover of flying and airplanes themselves; however, airports have a quality of freedom that re-energizes my passion for travel.


I was blessed to have been exposed to travel at a young age. My parents believe that traveling is an important part of life, of growing as a person. People who travel learn how to take care of themselves, how to accommodate other people and be flexible with many different situations. In addition to personal growth, every place traveled offers insight into how people live everyday, the history of the area, and the pulse, the heart that keeps a place alive or vibrant!

In the past few years I've done 2 international trips. In between, I also travel within Canada, and embark on many roadtrips within my own province. I'd like to share with you fellow readers, some of my favorite memories of my New Zealand and my England/Scotland/Ireland trip. You may guess which pictures are from which countries.  


































Although all these photos were taken in different countries, they all have a few things in common. They represent why I travel. A big reason is to see the different faces of Mother Nature. Every habitat is different which to me is scientifically exciting! The sounds of different birds in New Zealand for example, is nothing I've heard before. I went on many hikes while I was there and I learned so many tidbits of information such as, one of the native bushes that grow there develop gigantic leaves which were used like toilet paper by the locals. 

The architecture, the music and festivals, the food and wine, or in Ireland's case, Guinness beer are all very much a motivator for me to keep traveling. I had the opportunity to be one of seven Jameson Whiskey taste testers where I learned (and tasted) the differences between Jack Daniels, Jameson Whiskey, and Scotch Malt Whiskey. It has everything to do with how many times the whiskey is distilled and how it is distilled (i.e. whether wood burning is used for the smokey taste, e.t.c). 

Ireland has one of the best music cultures! You walk into any local pub and there is a live Irish band ripping the floor with fiddles, mandolins, accordions, and guitars. The sound is infectious! All I wanted to do is keep my feet moving to the beat. There was much clapping, singing, and socializing that went on every city we visited in Ireland.

Here's a clip of the Irish band that I saw while in Dublin. They own their own pub, and serve FANTASTIC lamb for supper, and entertained us with true Irish music!

Overall, traveling is truly the thrill of being in a new place, of forgetting reality for a few weeks, and taking in the culture as it is. You can only read so many books, magazines, and brochures. The best way to explore the world and to become knowledgeable is to go see it first hand. As for me, I'm already planning my next trip :)


Addendum: I wish to add a point to this piece that a friend reminded me of. PEOPLE! Truly, a big part of travel is to MEET NEW PEOPLE! This year, I had the opportunity to meet intelligent, beautiful, and positively interesting people on my tour of UK and Ireland. Each person brought something unique to the table and I find many times that I am missing all the amazing people I traveled with! I hope that someday, I will have the chance to travel with all of them again :)

4 comments:

  1. What's the name of the band singing Tell Me Ma? I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was an awesome trip down this past summer's memory lane of travelling. Meeting new people and gaining fantastic friends around the world are other side-benefits to travel that I love. New food, drinks, sights...new experiences to reminisce about on dreary January days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was me btw JD using my Google account, dunno why it says Unknown

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sandi, the band is called "The Merry Ploughboys". They were that local band I saw in Dublin :)

    Dev, absolutely good point made about meeting people!! I must add that into my blog as that IS also one of the reasons why I travel :)

    ReplyDelete